Info & History in East Sonora
HISTORICAL MARKER, EMIGRANT TRAIL TERMINUS
Marker at the site of the Sonora end of the Emigrant Trail, over which more than 2,000 emigrants with 20,000 cattle traveled to Sonora from the east in 1853. This wagon trail went up the Walker River and over the 10,000 foot Sonora Pass. This route was soon abandoned as easier routes became known.
HISTORICAL MARKER, SOULSBYVILLE
Marker for historic mining town named for Ben Soulsby, who settled here in 1851. His son discovered at age 12 the first gold in the area. The Soulsby mine was one of the first hard-rock mines in the county. All miners were Cornish. (Not on map. To visit it, continue east on 108 past the Sunshine area, turn right at the traffic light and go about 1/2 mile. Monument is on the left.
HISTORICAL MARKER, STANDARD TOWNSHIP
Site of the former "company town" of Standard Lumber Co and later Pickering Lumber Co. All homes, stores and the hospital were owned by Pickering and workers were paid in company script. The town itself is nearly gone. The SPI lumber mill in Standard was mothballed in 2009 but reopened in 2011. Marker is in front of the Standard Pour restaurant.
Was once a hospital owned by the Pickering Lumber Co. Now houses a nonprofit.
LIBRARY, SONORA BRANCH
Main branch of Tuolumne County library. Extensive collection on Gold Rush and local history. Wi-Fi Internet access for laptops/iPhones and computers with Internet access.
HOURS: Mon closed, Tues-Sat 10am-6pm, Sun closed.